UPATE: All of the tables for November are full! We will start up Total Table again in January, check back soon for more information.
In November Total Table will be co-opted. You'll still be sharing a yummy meal with a small group of people you're meeting for the first time. But, this go-round each of the three available tables will be focused on a subject that concerns the fuzzy places where your faith and the real world intersect.
To add depth and vitality to the conversations, each table will include an extra-special guest with expertise and first-hand experience. They spend most of their time in that fuzzy place. With them will be one of our pastors to add a little theology and Bible to the conversation
The Basic Details
- 10 spots for each table
- You'll know where to meet for dinner after registering
Peace + War + Violence
Jesus said blessed are the peacemakers. How do we practice making peace in a world that is persistently at war?
- Date: November 12
- Plus One: Justin Williams
- About Justin: Justin attends DOWNTOWN CHURCH on Sundays and is an attorney for a local law firm. He is also a member of the SC National Guard in the JAG. Before joining his current firm, Justin was a prosecutor in the Richland County Solicitor's office.
Hospitality + Housing + the Other
Jesus said foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head. The church talks about community, welcome, and inclusivity. How selective is our community in our attempts to be inclusive?
- Date: November 15
- Plus One: Dr. Bret Kloos
- About Brett: Bret attends DOWNTOWN CHURCH on Sundays and is a professor at USC in the department of community psychology. Housing and homelessness are a focus of his research and teaching. People in Columbia that work in and around issues of homelessness call Bret for help. He's been known to freely give it.
Mercy + Law + Enforcement
Jesus said blessed are the merciful for they will receive mercy. How do we practice mercy and justice at the same time?
- Date: November 15
- Plus One: Randy Davis
- About Randy: Randy attends DOWNTOWN CHURCH on Sundays and he is a policeman with the city of West Columbia. Previously he was a Richland County Sheriffs Deputy for 14 years and worked the C.A.T. unit in Sumter.