There is an epidemic you likely don't know about. Millions of bicycles are silently struggling with shame resulting from being abandoned to the dark, stale corner of the garage or shed. Left to the rust and cobwebs, they've been abandoned by owners who trade up or lose interest in them. But there is new hope for these precious metal machines.
The Rerun Bicycle Emporium, powered by DOWNTOWN CHURCH - is now open!
Armed with impressively shiny new tools, work benches, and training from our friends at the Cycle Center, the Rerun team is ready to repair and restore your bike and repurpose it for good use.
For many of us, bicycles are a form of recreation, but for others in our city, they are an affordable mode of transportation. The bus system doesn't cover much of our city - but when paired with a bike, getting to a job interview, work, or the doctor is possible. To that end, Rerun has partnered with Transitions, a downtown transitional center for the homeless and St. Lawrence Place. Your unused adult or children's bike can become the key to helping someone get and keep a job.
You can help in one of two ways:
- Donate your bike using the form below. Yep, we will pick it up.
- Donate your bike at Cycle Center on Harden Street.
The Rerun Bicycle Emporium is open every Sunday between 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. at 1001 Holland Avenue in Cayce.
If you'd like to know more about how you can get involved, complete the form at the bottom of this page and we'll be in touch.
Check out the information below to see if volunteering is right for you:
- I like working on bikes but I don't know how. Will there be someone there who knows what they are doing? Yes. We hope to have at least two people who can fix a bike present each Rerun Sunday to teach, help, and coddle you.
- Will there be music? Yes. At a minimum, there will be a curated playlist playing on a PA system.
- Where is this bicycle fixing festival going to happen? We are close to securing a bigger spot, but for now we will still be on Greene Street in our little room. It's a tight squeeze with plenty of room to expand outdoors.
- Can I bring my kids? Yes. Bring your dog, your neighbor, your boo, your boss. Bring them all.
- How can I participate if I can't come on Sundays? Sign up below if you are available for picking up donated bikes and dropping off fixed bikes.
- The Rerun T-Shirts are hot! How do I get one? Show up and work.
- The only thing that would make this better is a Rerun Koozie. Can you make all my dreams come true? Yes. We ordered Rerun Koozies. Showing up to work is the only way to get one.